Time for another Foodie Pen Pals package!
If you missed my first Foodie Pen Pals post in February, you can check out what this fun foodie package swap program is all about here: My First Foodie Pen Pals Experience. You can also read about what I got in my March, April, May and September Foodie Pen Pals packages.
This was my first month receiving a package from the Netherlands so I was super excited! I haven’t been to the Netherlands in years so I was eager to get (re-)acquainted with Dutch treats. This month I was matched with the lovely Linda who like me has an ‘obsession with food’. I knew it would be a good match right away! Linda has also been to Germany and speaks German so she sent me her introductory email in German – good practice for me!
Normally when my buzzer rings to announce the arrival of a package, I know right away that it’s a Foodie Pen Pals package (especially when it arrives towards the end of the month). However, my package from Linda arrived a day after my birthday so I thought it might be a belated birthday gift. Only when I opened the box did I realize that my package from Linda had arrived! Now that’s what I call a great surprise birthday present!
- Stroopwafel – I heard these Dutch waffles were delicious and requested them – thanks Linda!
- Sinterklaas chocolate letter ‘M’ – Dutch children get the first initial of their name as a chocolate letter for Sinterklaas (December 5th, when Santa comes to visit). So sweet!
- Almond and apricot fruit and nut bar – I got one of these in my May Foodie Pen Pals package – so good!
- Toast sprinkles – In the Netherlands you sprinkle these on toast for breakfast – love it!
- Bonne Maman honey – I love Bonne Maman products (the 4 fruits jam is my favourite) so I’m sure I’ll love the honey.
- Golden berry mix – I’m thinking of using these dried fruits in some oatmeal cookies. Yummmm!
- Kruidnootjes/Pepernoten – Little Dutch Christmas cookies (Linda even sent me a recipe so I can make them myself!)
- Roggebrood – Healthy grainy Dutch bread
- Speculaaskruiden – Speculoos spices similar to pumpkin pie spice mix – can’t wait to use this for Christmas baking
- Apple compote – I must figure out these Dutch instructions because it looks really good!
- Raspberry & green tea detox juice drink – Linda’s favourite (and soon to be mine, too!)
Linda also included a copy of a magazine article where she and her special Oreo pie recipe were featured – how cool! Thank you so much Linda for a wonderful Dutch Foodie Pen Pals package this month!
My Foodie Pen Pal that I sent a package to this month was Susanna from the UK. She blogs over at Fred the Needle, an adorable sewing and craft blog. She said she’ll be posting about her package on her blog, so I’ll link to her post once it goes live. *Edited to add: And here it is!
I’ll be taking a break from Foodie Pen Pals for the month of November and the program will be on hold for the month of December so check back in the new year for more Foodie Pen Pals posts.
Want to participate in Foodie Pen Pals? Head on over to the Foodie Pen Pals page to learn more about how to get involved. The deadline to sign up is the 4th of each month. Happy sending!
Reminder – The My Adventure Journal giveaway is running until midnight on November 3, 2015 so there’s still time to enter! Please spread the word to your friends!